2010/11/12

25th Aniversary edition of Super Mario Brothers to be Wii'ed.

Usually I'm a fan of updated remakes.

Usually I'm a fan of Mario - especially in his classic capacity.

Usually I love collections of multiple games released in one package.

I will probably pick this up due to the first three reasons.

The new Super Mario All-Stars: Limited Edition for Wii seems rather cool, and it is.  Unfortunately, it appears to be just as cool as the Super Mario All-Stars released for the SNES in 1993 but not as cool as Super Mario All-Stars +World also released in 1993 for a special bundle SNES.

My reason for being picky:  Why the hell not?

Back in 1993 it made sense for the retail version of All-Stars to not have World with it.  World came with most SNES bundles, so most people already had it anyways, and if they didn't World was still available as an off-the-shelf edition.  I understand the drive to make a profit.  That was 17 years ago.  World is not available in a stand-alone-off-the-shelf edition now.  Sure you can still get it, but really, what are they losing by shoving this one extra game in?  While they're at it, whats wrong with slapping in the old Game Boy Mario games?  How about Yoshi's Island which is subtitled Super Mario World 2?  Super Mario RPG?  They could easily put all of these ROM's even if they were updated and took up 10x the space of the original on one of those DVD's they stick in the Wii.  Even at 10x the original size all of these games would come in UNDER 1GB.  They're not going to be moving those in a stand alone capacity, and it will increase demand for what they have.  I'm going to stop short of saying put Mario 64 in there or anything after, because they did do a stand-alone remake of 64 for the DS and the Wii.  Everything past that was either made for the Game Cube, which plays natively on the Wii, or for the Wii itself.  They get a pass on those.

Congratulations Nintendo - you made something cool, but came up a step short of it giving me a boner.

No comments:

Post a Comment